Sunday, January 17, 2010

Quest Number One: What is science fiction?

For our very first quest, the class set out to discover a question that, like Jackie, I had never thoroughly explored before: What exactly defines science fiction? Are works without scientific explanations (or at least explanations based in real science) for their technological phenomena not science fiction? Are they more mythic or magical?

My group, or my crew as they will henceforth be known, determined that science fiction, always grounded in a plausible scientific reality, functions under the assumption that its scientific elements hypothetically can be explained. As the class discussion developed, we began to question the importance of scientific explanation for phenomena in works of science fiction. The professor asked us to ponder the similarity between works of magic, such as Harry Potter, and works involving scientific elements without explanations. Isn’t a technological apparatus without an explanation about how it functions equivalent to a magic wand?

An intriguing question I had never before considered, but examined extensively after class. Ultimately, while fiction with actual scientific extrapolation is ideal, I think science fiction doesn’t need a scientific explanation to support its technological elements as long as there is a presumption that the technology can be sufficiently explained by a character in that universe. As we live in the age of the plausible, I think it is important to remember that science fiction emerged in an age of the possible and in the world of possibilities it shall remain. While the magic in Harry Potter may never be plausible or possible, the science in a story without scientific explanation may still be very possible.

Also, I should clarify that I’m not much of a science gal. Not yet. I’m more of a sociology gal. So that might also help explain why I do not greatly value scientific explanations in science fiction. I’m less interested in the scientific elements and more interested in how these elements are used, by whom these elements are used, and how they are affecting the beings in the story. The sociological elements are becoming increasingly relevant to works of science fiction considering the rapid proliferation of the institution of technology in contemporary society.

Signing off with an explanation of my name. I’m not actually a sociopath (Then again, I wouldn’t tell if I was! Ha!). It’s a reference to the character of Topher Brink from the TV show Dollhouse, which you should start watching immediately if it hasn’t yet graced your life. Ecstatic for more fun and interesting class discussions! Maybe many of my viewpoints about this topic will change over the course of this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment